The Media with Representations or Expectations?


The first show I have thought of, regarding representations of a real woman’s life, was the show called, Being Mary Jane.
This show is about a woman, Mary Jane Paul, who successfully became a TV reporter. I wouldn’t say this show describes lives of all women, but it describes how women have hard time having a balance with work and life very well. Mary Jane struggles with going through her relationships, marriage, and taking care of her own family while she tries to be successful as a reporter on a famous TV program. I feel this show tells us that women “have to strive” to be successful and usually alone if not lucky. There are successful working women who have supportive families including their husbands, but I also feel that having college degree makes women want to work for a better job. When women hope to work for better jobs, they tend to face the fact that they have to think about marriage and pregnancy. When they decide to be a mother, they tend to end up quitting their jobs. In this show, Mary Jane’s friend, Lisa who is a single mother of two children, can be a representative of working mother who faces a challenge of having a balance of life and career. Even though Lisa’s ex husband or this show itself does not directly mentions that cooking and taking of her children are her responsibilities as a mother, I can feel that Lisa is asked to be a “better mother” who cooks, drives kids to school, cleans the entire house and so on. I don’t think it is overwhelming because our society is still based on social expectations of being a man or woman.
I don’t really watch TV here in the United States, except for Netflix, but I know some Japanese shows that describes real life of women or mothers. One of the best shows that I can think of is called, Suna no Tou, a show about a mother of two kids. She is a stay home mom and has to deal with neighbors. This show describes a part of Japanese society expecting a mother to take care of children and cook for her family. I believe all, if not many, cultures have shows that reflect social expectations of being women.

Comments

  1. I agree Namiki, I think there's many shows that communicate these expectations, they are a performance of reality. It's usually targeted toward upper middle class depictions, but there are still a variety of representations. I wonder what the cross-cultural differences are, your post made me remember the show Roseanne which also deals and critiques what it means to be an working mother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is Polarization a Bad Thing?

Op-ed topic

My Major is Business and I Have Music Class (Op-ed)