From Nobody to Somebody



One of my favorite shows on Netflix is called, Locked Up. I know it sounds weird to say that I like that show, and I don’t even know why I like the show. A reporter/speaker goes into different prisons which are famous for being harsh. The prisoners have different background, crimes that they committed, and races. Still, it is a show on Netflix, and we cannot say one thing from an entertaining document, but I believe watching the show makes me think about what the causes are and how they ended up being locked up while some of them have children and families whom they love.

Not only from the reading but also with my observation of many incidents involving young black males and police officers, I always think about education and parenting. Before talking about how we can change the society by putting ideas on system and justice, I believe we should focus on the fundamental cause of these deaths and violence. Education is valuable, which some people do not believe. Having this opportunity to earn master’s degree, indeed, I would say that education is powerful. How about for those who were dropped out from high school? How about children who were not given opportunities to go to school because of their families or financial situation? Probably, they either have to work very hard to find a way of going to college or end up with having student loan or being on the streets. When we only focus on solution rather than causes, I believe that we cannot find any answers soon. Even though finding ways not to cause these issues also takes time and needs efforts, I think it’s worth solving problems from the bottom. In terms of State and policy, I believe they should not just focus on problems of officers and these killed ones; rather, they should be able to afford to support their community and educate families and community who can teach their younger generations how to get off from the streets.  I honestly cannot just tell how the system should be changed, and in that sense, I feel how Hills brings positivity in negativity. 

Being raised in Japan, where we promised not to have, use or make guns except for the military uses, I felt that I should leave my thoughts on gun policy of the U.S. I don’t recall officers with guns in Japan. Unfortunately, we do have crimes, but I also don’t recall myself watching different heartbreaking news of killed young people as much as I do here, especially in Chicago. When I compare these facts, I wonder why guns and its needs are different in different parts of the world. The government should rethink the reasons why they allow citizens to hold guns and “play” with it. As we discussed in class, I believe that the policy should be updated, and if the law still wants to say that guns are for protection, whoever is protecting the law may not be watching any recent news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Polarization a Bad Thing?

Op-ed topic

My Major is Business and I Have Music Class (Op-ed)